- Looked quite good under new coach Christian Gourcuff, deserving more than the four points they’ve obtained.
- Few injuries to deal with although new midfielder Clement Chantome remains doubtful.
- Likely to be quite offensive minded at home in a 4-4-2 formation that Gourcuff always uses.
- Won 2 out of 3 games so far and started the season quite well.
- New striker Ivan Santin, who looks a good addition is rated doubtful because of injury.
- A few others players slightly doubtful, but should all feature.
- Caen usually quite positive under Patrice Garande, even away from home.
Conclusion & betting analysis
I’m quite looking forward to this contest because it should hopefully be open and exciting. Both managers like to play the game in the right away and quite positively, which is fairly unusual for French football. I would give Rennes a slight edge in terms of winning because they are at home and have a little bit more quality which could ultimately make the difference. But they are close to evens on a -0.5 handicap and this isn’t big enough to tempt me. I will however take over 2.25 goals. This is priced around the 1.90 mark and looks pretty acceptable. At worst, there should be two goals which would result in a half loss, but hopefully this one will cover full after a number of close calls this weekend.
Recommended bet 1 unit: Over 2.25 goals @ 1.91 (minimum odds acceptable 1.75)