- Les Rouges were denied by a controversial late penalty away at St Etienne last week, holding them to a 1-1 draw. They are however, unbeaten in three straight games.
- Last week was the best they defended all season, but I think it was a one off. They aren't particularly known for their defensive solidity.
- Matters aren’t helped by the suspension of key centre back Cedric Varrault, who is a big leader of this team. Right back Vincent Rufli is injured, and left back Bouka Moutou remains out too.
- Their shield in defensive midfield, veteran Florent Balmont is another casualty, but Dijon are at full strength in attack. They’ve only lost once at home so far this season.
- A total of 7 defeats in 9 games and a 100% losing away record sees Lorient remain second bottom of the table.
- The situation is quite dire and they've put in a number of poor performances. Plenty of errors have been made and in both boxes they’ve constantly been lacking.
- Coach Sylvain Ripoll has tried many different formulas and starting XIs, but not a lot seems to be working.
- He’s still without leading striker Benjamin Moukandjo & winger Jimmy Cabot due to injury. A few other players are either left out or regaining match fitness with the reserves.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- This is a battle between 16th and 19th in the table. Both will fancy their chances of beating each other and both really would love to obtain three points.
- Dijon have looked competitive upon promotion. They know they are going to have to fight hard to survive, but they have shown potential in all areas of the field.
- All of their last three home games have been entertaining encounters, 4-2, 3-0 and 3-3 respectively. They certainly haven't abandoned the attacking approach which served them so well in Ligue 2.
- In recent years, Lorient matches have been a hotbed for goals, yet not so much this season. Nevertheless, in these sort of fixtures where both teams fancy their chances an open encounter can develop.
- With that in mind, over 2.25 goals around the 1.90 mark catches my eye and I’m willing to back it.
- I think Dijon on a -0.25 also needs to be taken. Lorient have lost every single away match and their overall form is so poor that odds of 1.96 on a -0.25 are simply too big to ignore.
Recommended bets both 1 unit: Dijon -0.25 @ 1.96 & Over 2.25 goals @ 1.91