- FCL have now lost 8 out of 10 games and scored just 6 goals all season. Those results were too much for president Loic Fery to handle and Sylvain Ripoll got sacked at the start of the week.
- Franck Haise is interim coach and his reign got off to a losing start in midweek, going down 2-3 against Rennes in a match that contained three goals after the 87th minute!
- Perhaps Haise can re-install some of the traditional Lorient attacking values. But he’ll have to do so without key striker Benjamin Moukandjo who’s still injured. They do however welcome back Sylvain Marveaux & Jeremie Aliadiere from injury.
- The biggest news is that they have terrible injury and illness problems. A total of 10 players are ruled out, half of whom recently contracted gastroenteritis. Montpellier have only travelled with a group of 15 players, severely weakened!
- Key men like Congre, Skhiri, Boudebouz & Sylla are all included in this list of absences. Coach Frederic Hantz will have his hands tied badly to make the best out of a difficult situation.
- In the ligue, Montpellier are struggling, having only won two games all season. They've only picked up a couple of road points so far.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- The Montpellier team that takes to the field is unlikely to be disgraced, but when five players pull out at the last minute it’s virtually impossible to make any proper gameplans. It’s possible the visitors could be all at sea.
- Lorient have a new coach at the helm who will be desperate to get off to a winning start. Perhaps with Ripoll now gone, the players will free up a bit more and play improved football.
- Lorient have won 2 of their last 3 home games and traditionally perform well in front of their own fans. It’s never the easiest of locations to visit.
- In the light of Montpellier's’ illness and injury situation I think Lorient are worth backing on a -0.25 handicap. They will be facing a severely weakened lineup and should be able to take advantage.
Recommended bet 1 unit: Lorient -0.25 @ 1.83