- New coach Cedric Daury won his first match in charge 2-0 against Laval, but has since followed it up with two defeats in ligue and cup respectively.
- Auxerre have looked like an improved outfit under his stewardship though and a bit more confidence appears to be returning. They are still very much a work in progress though.
- Playing just three nights ago in the cup away against Toulouse is hardly ideal preparation. There could be some squad rotation and maybe some players picked up knocks which haven’t been mentioned.
- So the makeup of the XI is hard to predict, along with their physical condition.
- Les Chamois have definitely picked up some form recently, winning 3 of their last 4 games. I wouldn't say their performances have been particularly convincing but winning breeds winning and confidence is much higher.
- One big problem that Niort will have here is players missing from defence. Fullbacks Jonathan Brison and Tristan Lahaye have both been missing for a while, so nothing is new there. But centre back Jeremy Choplin is suspended, which means the backline will be quite inexperienced.
- Coach Denis Renaud is quite negative and is unlikely to attack too much here. He will probably instruct his players to sit back quite a lot and he could be content with a point.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- We are still very much in the early stages of Cedric Daury’s reign at Auxerre so there remain more questions than answers surrounding them.
- They looked quite good against Laval a couple of weeks ago and have definitely improved. I would probably back them on this current -0.25 handicap were it not for the fact they played just three nights ago in the cup.
- In truth, I see a pretty low key game devoid of much action. One goal either way could separate the teams and set pieces are going to be very important. Niort are extremely dangerous form dead ball situations.
- I don’t personally see an edge in any market. I have a sneaky feeling for Auxerre, but it would be gambling and risking too much to back them.
Recommended bet: None