- Les Lionceaux have still only lost one game all season, but lead the ligue in draws with a huge 7/12 obtained.
- A victory here could potentially move them into the top three positions and they aren’t badly situated. Sochaux have won their last two home games 1-0 and I expect a similar sort of formula and approach here.
- Centre back Jerome Onguene is injured, but big man at the back Adolphe Teikeu returns after his spell on the sidelines. Playmaker Florian Martin is still on the casualty list.
- Sochaux possess the best defensive record in the entire ligue, conceding just eight goals so far. Clean sheets have been obtained in half their games.
- Victory against Auxerre last week (2-1) was their first in five games and came as a welcome relief. Strasbourg’s season has generally stagnated after an excellent start and they are situated in midtable.
- The squad has been affected by a number of injuries and suspensions recently. For the first time in a while, nobody is banned but they do have casualties across the board.
- The defensive duo of Kader Mangane & Felipe Saad are sidelined, as is important midfielder Anthony Goncalves. Upfront, pacey striker Stephen Bahoken is another ruled out.
- RCS’s away form has been disappointing since an early win at Tours. They’ve failed to win any of their last four on the road.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- Somewhat of a derby match between two teams form eastern France. Both are known for having solid defence and I expect a close & tight affair.
- Sochaux aren’t the worst side to watch but they simply have a knack of being involved in lower scoring games. They are so well organised defensively and very hard to break down when in the right mood.
- Strasbourg have also shown potential to be solid, but perhaps their current injuries and a lack of consistency will cost them here.
- This is the sort of game in which one goal might be the winner. Set pieces will be crucial and any sort of mistake or moment of magic could result in a winning goal.
- The goal line is set at a really low 1.75 but this seems about fair. It’d be a surprise if this match developed into a high scorer.
- Sochaux on a -0.25 is perhaps tempting. I think they will edge the game and 1-0 seems to be their sort of scorleine. However, considering it’s a derby game I’ll leave it alone. The risk of a 0-0 bothers me too much as well.
Recommended bet: None