- The hosts have had an excellent season upon their promotion. That they are sitting comfortably in midtable on 36 points is a credit to the players and manager Eirik Bakke.
- Sogndal have ended the season strongly, only losing 1 of their last 7 games. They are pretty hard to beat and have drawn a massive 12 out of 27 contests, way more than any other team in this league.
- This isn’t a pretty team but can be quite effective. They are disciplined, well organised and hard to break down.
- Team news is favourable with only long term casualties ruled out.
- Remarkably, it was as far back as 17th July when Stromsgodset last won a Tippeligaen match. It’s been a massive 11 games without victory for the side from Drammen.
- The visitors now have a new coach in charge. Tor Ole Skullerud, who had decent success with Molde in this league a few years ago is now at the helm.
- His primary remaining objective this season is to win the NM Cup, in which they are semi finalists in midweek against second division side Kongsvinger.
- That is a match they will expect to win but Skullerud will want a good preparation here against Sogndal and it would be a real morale boost should they end this terrible winless run.
- Key striker Marcus Pedersen remains injured, whilst fullback Lars Vilsvik will miss this contest due to a slight strain as well.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- I had originally intended on backing Sogndal -0.25 here, but I’ve changed my mind.,
- The hosts are hard to beat and heading into the match they are in much the better form. However, the introduction of a new manager makes Godset unpredictable.
- Skullerud is a proven winner in the Tippeligaen and will demand his players improve here, especially with a cup final on the horizon.
- It wouldn’t surprise me if Godset managed to end their winless run today. On paper they have much the better set of players, although will have to work hard to break down a resilient Sogndal.
- Because of the unpredictable nature of the game then I’m happy to swerve. But my gut instinct is that we’ll see new manager syndrome here and Godset pick up at at least a draw.
Recommended bet: None