- The Corsicans haven’t won any of their last seven games but have been fighting hard for draws recently. They’ve managed to eek out three points out of four and grafted with honour against Lyon with 9 men, only losing 2-1 on that occasion.
- The squad has limited quality, but great heart. Bastia are also very strong at home where they can never be underestimated. This is a difficult place for any side to visit and only PSG and Angers have beaten them here this season.
- Powerful striker Enzo Crivelli won’t play here because Bordeaux are his parent club. This is a blow because he’s quite a focal point upfront. SCB are boosted by the return of defender Alexander Djiku in the squad for the first time since August.
- Les Girondins turned around a 1-2 deficit to beat Dijon thanks to a couple of late Francois Kamano goals on Saturday night. He’ll now be pressing for a start against his former club and brimming with confidence.
- Bordeaux can be a very inconsistent team, certainly in terms of performances. They are however unbeaten in six games and making reasonable progress under new coach Jocelyn Gourvennec. Les Girondins are up to sixth spot in the table and proving difficult to beat.
- Their injury situation isn’t too bad. The coach has left out a few players for this game, either for tactical or physical reasons. With this being a midweek fixture I could see them rotating the XI around which makes them unpredictable. Bordeaux’s away record is an up and down 2-3-2.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- The away team haven’t won any of the previous ten head to head meetings. All of the last seven contests have ended under 2.5 goals. Matches between these two sides are usually quite tight, containing few chances.
- Most Bastia home games have ended under 2.5 this season. The fairly poor pitch at Le Stade Furiani doesn’t help matters. They are also quite compact under Francois Ciccolini and pretty goal shy, netting just 11 times in 14 games.
- Bordeaux are -0.25 favourites tonight which I’m not too sure about. They are the better team on paper, but Bordeaux are hardly a ‘power side’ and this is a very tricky location to visit.
- An away win is the most likely outcome nevertheless. Bastia have often played poorly in midweek rounds and are obviously not in great form. This match doesn’t interest me from a betting point of view.
Recommended bet: None