- Les Grenats have now lost four games in a row, although did push Rennes close last week only losing 0-1 in Brittany.
- It’s starting to look like they are out of their depth at Ligue 1 level. Their squad on paper is limited but their good start perhaps masked their deficiencies.
- At least coach Philippe Hinschberger has few injuries to worry about with only midfielder Florent Mollet ruled out. Nobody else of significance is unavailable.
- Metz have conceded a massive 16 goals in 5 home games. Seven of those were against Monaco but they’ve looked anything but solid here recently.
St Etienne preview
- Les Verts have only lost 1 of their last 10 games and have been pretty consistent recently.
- They played in the midweek Europa League away in Azerbaijan against Qabala, so fitness and fatigue could be an issue. It’s quite a trip to the depths of Eastern Europe for that one.
- Midfielder Fabien Lemoine & striker Oussama Tannane are both ruled out because of injury, but for the most part their squad is in good condition.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- Sainte really should be winning a game like this. But I’m worried that they could be flat after a tough midweek trip. This is the sort of game they need to be ready for a potential physical test Metz will throw at them.
- The hosts might lack for talent but they won't lack heart or desire. I expect the players to work really hard and put an extra energetic effort in.
- I still think Les Verts will register an away win but they are a short enough price and I’m not inclined to back them.
- This could also be an over 2.5 match but a lot of Sainte away games tend to be low scoring and that again could be the case if they are flat.
Recommended bet: None