- Les Canaris continue to underachieve and have only won three games all season. As a result, Rene Girard’s men are only outside of the relegation zone by virtue of goal difference.
- They actually played alright away at PSG last week (0-2). But they faced a clearly unfocused Paris and a better team would have punished the champions, or at very least scored a goal. Nantes aren’t a very good team at the moment though.
- The squad has been in pretty good condition all year and once again here the coach has a full complement of players to choose from. The only exception is midfielder Valentin Rongier who is injured.
- Les Canaris have the worst home record in the entire league. They’ve won just once and scored a miserable three goals in six games!
- The visitors have lost 8 of their last 10 games and defeat at home to Lyon last week (0-1) was the final nail in the coffin for coach Frederic Antonetti who was sacked.
- A caretaker boss is in charge of Lille today whilst they find a permanent replacement. Things clearly weren't working under Antonetti and I have no idea how the Lille players will react to his sacking.
- The tactical set up of the visitors is difficult to predict but if Antonetti was the real problem then I’d expect see see an improvement soon.
- Two important midfielders, Rio Mavuba & Younousse Sankhare will miss out due to injury and suspension respectively.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- Very few people will have expected this to be a battle between 17th and 19th at this stage of the season! Both teams have been massive underachievers this year and are playing well below their potential.
- Lille have acted by sacking their coach and Nantes might follow suit very soon unless results improve. Rene Girard has few excuses for the poor performances of his team and they’ve show very little sign of improvement.
- Nantes are -0.25 favourites, but who on earth could trust them? With Lille perhaps a dangerous animal now they are free of Antonetti I just don’t see any appeal in backing the hosts on this line.
- The goal line on offer is over/under 1.75 which pretty much says everything about this match. Neither side can score goals and this should be a low scoring boring feast.
- This isn’t a match I’m interested in betting on and I wouldn't recommend anyone watch it, unless you need some help getting to sleep!
Recommended bet: None