- The defending champions have been underwhelming of late, both domestically and in Europe.
- They needed a late wonder goal against Basel in midweek to beat the Swiss side 2-1, and they only bettered Lille 1-0 last Friday in Ligue 1.
- Unai Emery has yet to have the desired effect on the team since taking over, it’s almost as if PSG have gone backwards a little. There is still plenty of time for them to return to their dominant best though.
- The squad is in perfect condition ahead of the contest, minus left back Layvin Kurzawa who’s injured
- The Breton outfit are unbeaten in four games and won 6 out of 11 contests this season. They've looked good under new coach Christian Gourcuff.
- Most of their good results have been at home though. On the road they’ve only won once, although that victory did come against arch rivals Nantes in their most recent away trip.
- Rennes are affected in midfield by the loss of Prcic, Chantome & Andre to various injuries and suspensions. The often injury prone defender Mexer is another casualty.
- The manager is known for his attacking philosophy and he isn’t the sort of coach who would usually just try and park the bus, even in a fixture like this.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- PSG simply haven't impressed me much this season. They don't look as good under Unai Emery, both from a defensive and defensive point of view. However, they should get plenty of chances here.
- Rennes are the sort of team who might actually me to Paris and have a bit of a go. The visitors will always retain a strong counter attacking presence due to their fast forwards and good technical players.
- Taking Rennes on a +1.75 handicap is somewhat appealing. But they could completely gamble late on if they are behind and concede a goal or two, which would kill them potentially covering.
- I think over 2.75 goals looks like a good bet. I see this as being quite an open contest. PSG should be able to generate plenty of chances and I don’t think Rennes will lack for some decent opportunities either.
- Ultimately, the hosts should have enough to win, but I see both scoring therefore the over bet is my play for the game.
Recommended bet 1 unit: Over 2.75 goals @ 1.82