- A heavy 0-4 defeat at PSG last time out snapped a good run of results, but they are still doing pretty well in sixth position.
- Christian Gourcuff has always been a good home manager and nothing seems to have changed at Rennes. They’ve won 5 of their 6 games at Roazhon Park.
- Injuries and suspensions are racking up. They have a number of key players out including centre back Mexer and striker PG Ntep.
- Squad depth will certainly be tested for this regional derby match with the coach likely having to make a few changes which could upset their rhythm.
- The visitors are doing well in midtable following a difficult start to the season. Angers have now only lost 2 of their last 9 games and are beginning to pick up victories more regularly.
- Important striker Karl Toko Ekambi is injured for this match. They have no other casualties to any starters apart from long term absentees.
- Angers have an indifferent away record, winning a couple of times but also losing on four occasions. Victories at Bordeaux and Bastia prove they are no pushovers.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- Regional pride is at stake here and I expect a close and tightly contested match. Rennes are very strong at home but with them missing a few players and on the back of a 0-4 thumping, I’m less confident about them.
- Angers can be hard to beat and I expect them to come out with a defensive gameplan, looking to frustrate Rennes. I just don’t see this match containing many chances.
- The odds look set pretty fair. Rennes are on a -0.25 handicap just over the 2.0 mark. This is maybe generous statistically, but as aforementioned, I’m not too confident about them today and Angers shouldn't be underestimated.
- This is the one game of the day in Ligue 1 that I have no interest betting in. I think it’s a 0-0 contender where one goal would possibly be enough for either side to take victory.
Recommended bet: None