St Etienne preview
- Sainte came from behind to beat Angers 2-1 away from home on Sunday. This was just their second win in six games and a much needed boost.
- With their involvement in the Europa League, Les Verts are used to playing in midweek but this is a hectic period for the club and understandably some players are struggling physically. Some rotation could take place.
- The hosts aren't helped by two suspensions to regular starters. Both are at the back with Leo Lacroix and Kevin Malcuit banned. Upfront, big striker Nolan Roux is injured.
- Sainte have only lost once at home this season but a collection of draws has stalled their progress, especially recently.
- Just one win so far for new coach Rudi Garcia. They come into this match on the back of a 4-0 defeat at Monaco.
- Marseille have struggled once again this season and it could take some time for the new boss to sort them out.
- Key midfielder Lassana Diarra is injured and ruled out of this contest, which is a blow. The coach might look to shake things up following such a disappointing defeat.
- OM have the third worst away record this season, losing 5 out of 7 on the road.
Conclusion & betting analysis
- OM haven’t actually lost against Sainte in any of their last six meetings. But the hosts are favourites tonight, and understandably so.
- Marseille aren’t in great form and just seem pretty flat at the moment. I’d imagine Rudi Garcia will try and make them hard to break down here, which might be effective because Sainte aren’t the heaviest scoring of sides.
- With the hosts on a -0.25 handicap, this seems pretty fair to me. A home win is the most likely outcome but the risk of a draw is also pretty high.
- Nothing tempts me here and a low scoring draw or home win seems probable. I wouldn’t even rule out a 0-0.
Recommended bet: None