- Marseille have lost 4 of their 6 league games in 2017 and have really messed up in some favourable fixtures. Their last two matches at the Velodrome have both resulted in comfortable victories though.
- It will be interesting to see how OM will cope without key striker Bafetimbi Gomis who is ruled out for a month. He’s the focal point of this attack and leads their goalscoring charts by a significant margin.
- Marseille do have some very good technical players like Payet, Thauvin and Lopez, but without Gomis they won’t have a big physical presence in the final third.
- Rennes are winless in nine games but have drawn their last five consecutively. In general, their performances have been pretty poor but they do at least deserve some respect for avoiding defeat during this period.
- The visitors are without a couple of key players themselves and would be weakened if young defender Joris Gnagnon didn’t suit up. He’s probably been their best and certainly most solid player in recent weeks.
- I feel like the odds are right where they should be for this match. Marseille will probably find a way to win eventually, but it might take them some time to break down Rennes. I sense something like a 1-0 or 2-0 home win is on the cards.
- Nothing really interests me from a betting point of view. The goal line seems too high here with over 2.5 odds-on in most places! Rennes have struggled to score recently and without Gomis, OM obviously lose a big goalscoring contributor.
Recommended bet: None
Player importance explanation: K =Key, X =Regular XI starter, B = Bench player